It’s February, the month of love! We are surrounded by red and pink and hearts and flowers at the stores, in the advertisements we see, the restaurants we visit, it’s everywhere.
We also don’t need a specific month to show love, but since it’s already on everyone’s mind this month, thanks to Valentine’s day, I thought we could take a moment to refresh and renew our marriage relationships with a little extra dose of love.
But this is love without the box of chocolate, the expensive date night, or the fancy gifts. This is love without a store. Love that is shown and discovered through your everyday.
As working moms, work and kids tend to be the main focus areas of our lives whether we want them to be or not. We must work to keep the income flowing and we must take care of our kids because, well, “the squeaky wheel gets the grease”. Our husbands often end up at the bottom of the to-do list. They go about their work and daily lives, we go about ours, and before we know it, it feels like we have this roommate who shares a bed with us each night, but we can’t remember the last time we had a real conversation that didn’t involve childcare arrangements, logistics of extracurricular activities, and dinner plan discussions with them.
Sometimes it feels daunting to add one more thing to our overcrowded, busy, stressed out schedule. It feels frustrating to think about our husband’s needs when we can barely manage to find 2 minutes for ourselves each day. But I think that love can be rekindled through tiny moments in our everyday.
We don’t need a grand expensive date night. We don’t need a week of love making every single day. We don’t need to a weekend getaway. We don’t even need a fancy Hallmark card. Because love isn’t found in money or gifts or obligations or fancy anything. Love is found together. That’s all it takes.
This month, let’s focus on the little, everyday ways we can show love to our husbands. Because that’s what keeps us going. The little things we remember to do every day. The little ways we show we care. The tiny ways we remind our husbands that they matter most.
Here are just a few ways you can show love to your husband, most in just five minutes or less, every day. Pick one each day, come up with a few of your own, and watch your love life begin to rekindle.
1. Make his lunch.
2. Give him a back rub, foot rub, or shoulder rub at the end of a long day.
3. Dress up, just for him.
4. Send a flirty text in the middle of the day.
5. Initiate, in the bedroom. (Check out this online course for help if you struggle with getting in the mood.)
6. Bake him a yummy treat.
7. Hide post it notes somewhere telling him something you love about him.
8. Fill up his gas tank.
9. Take out the trash or do one of the other chores he normally does.
10. Cook his favorite meal.
11. Write him a love letter.
12. Lovingly touch him as you walk by throughout your day.
13. Sit down and cuddle with him on the couch.
14. Put down your to-do list and ask him what he wants to do.
15. Offer to help him with something.
16. Listen, truly listen when he talks.
17. Thank him for being awesome.
18. Pray for him.
19. Kiss for 15 seconds, or longer when you first see each other after work.
20. Give him some quiet time for himself.
21. Bring him a drink or a snack.
22. Join him in one of his hobbies, even if it’s not something you enjoy much.
23. Fold his socks, iron his shirts, or any other laundry chore you try to avoid.
24. Greet him, make eye contact, and physical contact every time one of you arrives home.
25. Tell him things you love about him.
Life is crazy and hectic, but your most important relationship matters, and it deserves work and effort every single day. Good days and bad days, make sure you show your husband how much he means to you (even if you don’t always feel it).
What ways do you show love to your husband in your everyday moments? Share in the comments.