Last summer I stumbled upon Rockets of Awesome. It is a subscription clothing box, for kids (think Stitch Fix but in kids clothes).
I haven’t tried a subscription box service for my own clothes because they are usually far too fancy and expensive for my taste (and my work-from-home-in-my-running-clothes lifestyle). I also don’t need new clothes all that often, so it just doesn’t seem economical for myself.
But my kids need new clothes all the time! They are constantly growing, tearing holes in the knees of their pants, or dripping mustard on their shirts.
In the past, I’ve just picked up random clothes from Meijer or Target while I’m shopping for other things. The kids get whatever clothes they get and they survive just fine. However, now that they are getting older (8 and 5), they tend to want to have a little more say in the clothes they wear.
Since I hate shopping and I hate shopping with kids even more, this new having-an-opinion-about-what-you-wear thing is not my favorite. Until we found Rockets of Awesome.
How does Rockets of Awesome work?
We have now received three boxes for each of my kids from Rockets of Awesome (Fall, Winter, and Spring boxes) and we also ordered some extra items when they had a clearance sale last September. Our kids’ wardrobes are quickly filling up with the great clothes from Rockets of Awesome.
When you first sign up with Rockets of Awesome you will take a style quiz, be sure to take the style quiz with your kids present. This is important so they have a say in what they get!
The style quiz will ask for size details and then get into color preferences, clothing preferences (no sweaters or button down tops, for example), preferred patterns, style choices, whether your child likes words and phrases or neon colors, and a space for any additional notes you want to add.
Then you’ll create your account and schedule your first box. You can add other children and take a style quiz for each of them as well. Once you’re all setup they will get to work selecting 8 items for your box (most will coordinate with each other).
When your box is ready, you will get a preview of the box. You will then have 48 hours to check it over through the online portal. You’ll see pictures of the items, size information, and cost details. During this time you can swap out any items your child doesn’t like and replace them with something they would prefer from the online store. (This feature didn’t exist when we first started with Rockets of Awesome, but it is now one of my most favorite parts.)
After you’ve approved your box it will ship and arrive in a few days. You then have 5 days from the time you receive the box to go through it and decide what to keep and what to send back. Return shipping is free and you don’t have to keep anything. (There is a $20 service fee that is charged to send your box but that is credited toward anything you keep, which will likely be something since you get to preview the entire box before it’s sent.)
If you keep the entire box you only pay $150 for all items in the box. This feature has given me a savings of at least $30-65 per box. This is my absolute favorite part, it really helps with budgeting for these boxes.
If you decide to send some items back they include a return bag in your box to make return shipments a breeze. You’ll complete the checkout process online and then you’re good to go.
In about three months you’ll get an email alerting you that your next box is being prepared and you’ll get a chance to pause the boxes or preview your next box and start the whole process over again.
What do you get in a Rockets of Awesome box?
Each box will contain 8 items chosen just for your child based on their preferences and style. If you make returns they will update their style information to help them send better selections in the future. The boxes are set to arrive seasonally so you will always receive items for the upcoming season.
The prices of the items in the boxes range from about $16 to $38. And again, if you keep everything you just pay $150 total. We’ve kept everything from our last two shipments under this model and it has been awesome (when we started receiving boxes they didn’t have the keep everything for $150 deal).
The prices felt a little more than I usually would spend on my kids’ clothes when we first started getting the boxes, but the quality makes the prices so worth it. All of the clothes from Rockets of Awesome are incredibly comfortable. I wish they made adult clothes, they are so awesome.
Most of the t-shirts my son has received are made of “tech” fabric and several of the sweatshirts and sweatpants my kids have are the softest fabrics I’ve ever felt in my life. My son prefers sleeping in his clothes now instead of pajamas because his clothes are so comfortable. And the knees don’t wear out nearly as easily on the Rockets of Awesome pants as they do on the “cheaper” clothes I grab at the store.
Pros and Cons
Pros of ordering from Rockets of Awesome
- The convenience of not having to go to the store to shop for my kids’ clothes. Mama ain’t got time to lug two kids around the stores to try things on and argue about what they like and don’t like.
- I don’t have to think about it. The boxes arriving are my signal that the seasons are about to change, so I can go through their closets and sort out the stuff they’ve outgrown and replace it all with the new stuff from the box.
- My kids love the clothes. They are fun and spunky, comfortable and stylish.
- The prices are affordable.
- The quality of the clothes is great.
- Your kids will be psyched about getting a big box in the mail just for them.
- They have fantastic and super friendly customer service. I emailed them about an item in our last box that was too big. I wanted to get the keep it all discount, but I just needed to swap the size. They quickly replied with instructions on how to make it work with our order.
Cons of ordering from Rockets of Awesome
- Previously we’d grab an item or two when we were out and about and slowly build our kids’ wardrobes. Now, we get both boxes on the same day. Which means I have to shell out $300 at once. This was a bit of a shock to the budget at first, but now I’ve worked it in so I’m prepared each time the seasons roll around.
- The clothes are all made by Rockets of Awesome and sometimes tend to be designed around the same theme. For example, I think my son has 2-3 shirts that say something related to “Zero to Awesome” in a different way and he has several items with lightning bolts on them. If you’re a brand loyal kind of person you might be used to this, but it just feels a bit repetitive to me. However, my son tells me that the “Zero to Awesome” shirts are all his favorite shirts, so this isn’t necessarily a big con for most people. (And since you can swap things out you can probably avoid this fairly easily.)
- My kids are super scrawny. Fortunately, the majority of the bottoms we’ve received from Rockets of Awesome have adjustable (drawstring) waists, but the items that aren’t adjustable just don’t work for my kids since they are so tall and skinny. I now look closely at the previews to make sure that the bottoms being sent will be adjustable or I swap them out for something else.
Ready to try Rockets of Awesome?
Now that you’ve read my Rockets of Awesome review, if you’re tired of dragging your kids around to stores and arguing with them about what they can and can’t get, I’d encourage you to give Rockets of Awesome a try, just click this link to get started (using this link should give you a $20 credit). Snuggle up with your kids to take the style quiz and get ready for some very excited kids when that big blue box shows up on your doorstep!
Note: This is NOT a sponsored post. All opinions are completely my own honest feelings about the Rockets of Awesome service. I did not receive any free or discounted items in exchange for this post. I just love the company and want to share them with everyone. The links used within this post are my referral/affiliate links, you can read my full disclosure here.